ぞっこん in イングランドぉぉぉ！
トールキン先生のお墓と、お気に入りだったパブ「Eagle and Child」の看板と中。
Eagle and Child の看板
Copyright (C) Zokkon All rights reserved
The History of the Eagle and Child.
An inn since 1650. The Eagle and Child is one of very few which can describe itself as an Oxford institution.
The Eagle and Child derives its name from The Arms of The Earl of Derby. The family legend is that an early ancestor rescued and adopted an abandoned child, which had been fostered by an eagle.
During the Civil War (1642-1649), the inn was the lodging of the Chancellor and the Pay-House for the Troops. St. Giles was mined across its entire width, creating an underground tunnel (which still exists).
The first landlord of the inn: Richard Plait or his father was an old retainer for the Earl of Derby.
It remained a small, two room ale house, with a parlour behind until 1950, when the pony-yard at the rear was covered over. In the 1940’s, the pub was adopted as a meeting-place by the ‘Inklings’, who regularly used the parlour-room (known as the Rabbit-Room), to get together and discuss amongst other things, the books they were writing. The “inklings” were made up of C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, Charles Willians and other friends.
So Enjoy your time at one of Oxford’s most historic pubs.